VIP screening University Women’s Club + Zoom: The Chocolate War
October 12 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Please register here to join this event
The Chocolate War, directed by Miki Mistrati, has been nominated for Cinema for Peace, CPH DOX and Warsaw International Film Festival awards.Miki follows human rights lawyer Terrence Collingsworth – who he views as a real life Jason Bourne – via Ivory Coast plantations and the Supreme Court in Washington DC. Terry is working to convict Nestlé and Cargill of systematically exploiting children in Ivory Coast cocoa production.It’s a lonely fight against the multi-billion-dollar chocolate industry and their army of lawyers. Beautifully filmed and edited, Screen Daily described the movie as “an illuminating call to arms.”
Almost every chocolate bar you find on supermarket shelves was produced by child slaves in West Africa – but it doesn’t have to be this way.If you’re joining us from home, be sure to register here. Just ahead of the screening we will send you the Zoom link to join us.If you are joining us in person, again, please register here first to be sure of a ticket.Agenda (UK time)6pmIn person guests might like to make time for a drink at the club before our event starts.Popcorn and drinks will be available to purchase as well.6.30-7.30pmPanel discussion and Q&A with:
- Director Miki Mistrati
- Human rights lawyer Terry Collingsworth
- Campaigner Ayn Riggs who compiles the Slave Free Chocolate list
- Mikke Friis-Holm, award-winning responsible chocolate producer
- Professor Tim Lang, who will explain why governments must act
- Moderator Lise Colyer, University Women’s Club member and Executive Director of OmniAction. OmniAction is creating a labelling system that informs us as consumers fully about how the food we choose was produced.
7.30-8.30pmScreening: The Chocolate War8.30pm onwardsIn-person guests might like to stay on and dine at the University Women’s Club. If so please telephone + 44 (0)20 7499 2268 in advance to make a reservation. Menus and further details available here.